Sunday, March 21, 2010

Excel Project


For this project, we used the Excel program and acted as if we worked for a large fitness center. The owner gave us an Excel spreadsheet containing data that was collected from 500 subjects that included their heart rate measurements before and after the 15 minute workout and during the 5 minute cool down period. The sheet had raw data that included age, sex and 21 heart rate measurements from 0:00 to 20:00 minutes. Some of the tasks I performed included manipulating and formatting the raw data, creating formulas, analyzing data and making pivot tables.

Doing this project was very interesting and very helpful in building my excel skills. Previous to the Excel Scavenger Hunt, I had no experience with the program. The scavenger hunt gave me basic knowledge and understanding of how to use the program, but the project gave me an opportunity to actually put my skills to the test and I honestly enjoyed it. For example, my notes on the pivot table did help but in actually creating it correctly with formatting the numbers, rows and columns, it was more thought that needed to be put into it. Also, we had to come up with formulas, so I not only had to remember the rules for inserting the formulas, but I had to focus on the information for the correct formula. In all, the excel project was a success for me and I now have another program to continue to use and add to my resume!

No comments:

Post a Comment